Posted in Uncategorized

SK French Update Jan 2024

Dear SK Parents,

It’s been a pleasure reconnecting with the children after the Winter Break.  We have been continuing to explore the Winter theme, reviewing the names of winter clothing as well as learning about winter sports and winter fruits.
Making orange juice (jus d'orange)                                                   
We have also started to learn the sounds of the French alphabet, beginning this week with the letter A.  We have been singing it, using our bodies to make the A and learning words beginning with A. The children are adding words beginning with A to their own booklets.

Day by day, I’m seeing the children become more comfortable functioning in our French learning environment.  They are now familiar with instructions given in French and are able to follow them  They are also starting to approach me in French with little sentences like aide-moi (help me).  I can see their confidence in French growing with each of these steps.
Here are few things you may wish to do to continue making French a part of your child’s life at home:
Consider borrowing a few books in French to look at together at home. It can be a simple vocabulary book related to the seasons, the colors, animals, or maybe a story that they already know in English that has been translated into French. For example, The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (La Chenille qui fait des trous) or Red is Best by Kathy Stinson (Le Rouge c’est bien mieux).
Listen to music in French.  As a starting point, here are some songs by French-Canadian artists that your children are already familiar with:
Tous les matins quand Pouffe se leve (a great song to get everyone moving)
La neige tombe sur mes mains
Nous sommes les musiciens
Un elephant sur mon balcon
Look forward to seeing you at the parent / teacher conferences this week.
Maryse