Posted in Jewish Studies, Uncategorized

Yom Ha’Atzmaut

Yom Ha’Atzmaut is Israel’s Independence Day.

In Israel, people celebrate all over the country beginning in the evening with with a special torch lighting, fireworks, and street parties.

The next day people get together for barbeques on the beach or in parks. Many people dress in blue and white (kachol ve’ lavan) the colours of the flag, and eat special foods like hummus, falafel, pita, kababs, watermelon, Bamba, and Israeli salad. There is folk dancing and lots of music, including special concerts. 

Many people imagine that Israel is a desert, but although it is tiny, the country has many different parts and when you travel through it you see that Israel has everything from busy cities, to beaches, mountains, deserts, and lakes. 

Today, we will make a map of Israel and colour in the different areas using glue and materials from home.

What You Need

• Map of Israel Printable (I ran out of ink so I drew it with a sharpie and glued it onto cardboard from a cereal box)
  • Glue (can be made by mixing one part flour with one part water, e.g.:1/4 c flour and 1/4 cup water).
  • Different materials that are blue, green, orange and brown. I used blue paper from flyers, green edamame beans, orange lentils, and brown rice. Feel free to substitute with whatever you have on hand. It could even be a collage using only recycled materials like supermarket flyers or old magazines.

Getting Started

1. Print the Map of Israel Printable. 

For best results print on cardstock or glue it to thicker paper, like cardboard.

2. Glue the different materials to the paper according to the number and color.

Don’t forget to send me a picture of your finished work. I can’t wait to see the different materials you use!